AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani says his side considered appointing current Inter head coach Frank de Boer ahead of the 2016-17 campaign, before eventually opting for Vincenzo Montella instead.
De Boer was available after stepping down as Ajax boss and was heavily linked with a move to the Rossoneri, only for Milan to opt for ex-Fiorentina and Sampdoria head coach Montella on a two-year deal.
The Dutchman eventually ended up in Serie A after all, replacing Roberto Mancini at Inter last month, but could very well have been in charge of their city rivals had things turned out differently.
“Montella, De Boer and [Sampdoria boss Marco] Giampaolo were all candidates to become our coach,” Galliani told Milan Channel.
“There were six options in total, including [Cristian] Brocchi and two giants with great experience.
“We have faced strong teams but there’s still a lot to do. The match against Udinese shows how unpredictable Serie A can be.”
Milan – who have nine points from their first five Serie A matches – travel to play Fiorentina on Sunday.
Source: soccerway.com
On April 4 at 9:45 PM, Genoa will host Udinese at the Luigi Ferraris Stadium…
On April 4 at 9:30 p.m. AugsOn April 4 at 9:30 p.m. Augsburg will host…
On April 4 at 10:00 PM, Rayo Vallecano hosts Espanyol at the Vallecas stadium in…
On April 3 at 10:00 PM, Chelsea host Tottenham at Stamford Bridge in London in…
On April 2nd at 8:45 PM, the football world will turn its attention to Istanbul,…
On April 2 at 22:00, Caen face Reims in a quarter-final clash of the Coupe…