True, sometimes bad luck play a role in our losses. But in most cases, what needs attention (and correction) is our game or psychology. If not carefully analyze the losses we are doomed to repeat them.
To neutralize this problem, here’s a simple exercise by Dr. Kardnar in three steps, which can change their poker development.
1. Keep a poker diary
Get used to keep a poker remarks, noting not only results, but also three other types of information.
1. Describe in detail lost hands. Include all relevant details (stack sizes, position, and other actions). The more details you add, the better.
2. Analyze each hand for opportunities for improvement and record what should change. Do you perceive to form any patterns? Is there a particular error that you have a tendency to do? Ask yourself these questions and note the answers.
3. Record the specific actions to be carried out to make changes to their way of thinking, feelings and behavior. This may be the hardest part of the exercise, but efforts for improvement can be very rewarding.
The purpose of this exercise is to them face to face with your weaknesses. Your focus should be on what you do in the coming sessions, in order to improve your game based on lessons learned from the analysis of previous sessions.
2. Set your action-oriented goals in each session
Before each new poker session open the diary to review notes after the previous.
Using these notes, ask your action-oriented goals for the upcoming session – something specific on which we can focus while playing. This will decrease significantly the likelihood of recurrence of past mistakes or bad habits.
3. Imagining act towards fulfillment of its purpose
Finally, just before you start playing, set aside a few minutes for the “entry zone” and consider what you going to do in the first hands that will participate. Sit in a comfortable position, then repeatedly inhale and exhale slowly. After focusing imagine clearly how implementing actions towards the goal.
For example, if your goal is to play fewer hands, imagine how patiently wait for good starting hands. Feel the rush of satisfaction that comes from that fulfill their purpose. Setting aside time to imagine how successfully accomplish their goals increases your confidence, which improves performance.
Never nice to lose, but the moments of loss can become a useful tool. If, spending time to look through the game, you will probably find many things that you can upgrade. Imagine how much your game – and probably your attitude – will change if you start to perform this simple exercise in three steps.