Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne Victory
Date: Tuesday 17 January, 2017
Kick-Off: 5:45pm AEDT/ 6:45am UK
Venue: Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand.
Wellington Phoenix will welcome Melbourne Victory to Westpac Stadium in Wellington on Tuesday the 17th of January. This match was supposed to happen back in round 7 but it was postponed so this is the catch up game.
The Phoenix are in seventh place in the A-League standings with 15 points while the Victory are second with 32 points.
Last round saw Wellington clinch a 1-0 win over Central Coast Mariners. Meanwhile, Melbourne were able to get a 3-2 win over Brisbane Roar.
Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne Victory: Head-to-Head Statistics
- The head-to-head record goes the way of Melbourne with 17 wins compared to Wellington’s 5.
- An additional 6 draws have been played but the last draw that occurred was back in the 2010/11 season.
- Last time these sides met was round 4 of this season where Melbourne demolished Wellington 6-1.
- The Victory have won 4 of the past 5 matches against the Phoenix with their last visit to New Zealand ended in a 4-1 win.
- Wellington’s last win against Melbourne was at home last season.
Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne Victory: Predictions
Fascinating encounter as both sides have to come off short breaks to play this match.
Wellington forward’s Gui Finkler and Kosta Barbarouses will play against their former club and this is the game they need to fire if the Phoenix want a chance in winning.
The Victory have been magnificent this season with their ball movement but especially been brilliant up front, which have scored the most goals in the league with 35.
A win for the Phoenix will see them move into the top 6 while a Victory win can close the gap to 2 points with Sydney FC who are on top of the table.
It will be hard for Melbourne Victory to come play in New Zealand from a short turnaround but the form they are currently in, they should get the win against Wellington Phoenix in this fixture.
Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne Victory: Bet Tips
Melbourne to win at evens (2.00)
Over 2.5 goals at 3/5 (1.60).